spoon

Missing in Action

Category:

Boy, time flies when you're having fun! But you may be wondering where I've been and why haven't I posted any recipes lately. Well, I have been very busy the last few days trying out new recipes to tell you about. The problem is, I didn't really like any of them! I started to get distressed about it, but I realized it's OK for me to admit the disappointment and share with you what I learned. After all, this entire blog is a journey for me as I develop and learn all about healthy cooking and I'm so grateful you are on this journey with me.

Spinach & Tomato Phyllo Something-or-Other (ok, I forgot the real name and I already threw away the magazine since I didn't like the recipe).

This recipe had great potential! It came from the current Taste of Home magazine. Sometimes they have great recipe's, and other times I am disappointed. Anyway, it was a layered type casserole. At the bottom you put a few sheets of phyllo. Have you ever used phyllo dough? It can be difficult, but worth it! The first layer was a mixture of chopped spinach, feta cheese, cottage cheese, and a few seasonings. The other layer was just plain tomatoes. After alternating the spinach mixture and tomatoes a few times you finish the top with more phyllo sheets. Brush with water or oil to seal the sheets and then bake until dough is golden brown. I was really excited to try this, but the fact of the matter is that it was just too plain. Not near enough pizzazz! It had a hint of “lazagna” feel to it due to the cottage cheese and tomato. I only wish it had more flavor. I will probably try this again, but add spaghetti sauce and more spice. Maybe I just need to find a good vegetarian lasagna recipe. Any suggestions?

Steak and New Potato Toss
This was another Taste of Home recipe disappointment, especially because I spent good money on steak that I wouldn't have normally purchased for a regular week-day meal. I washed and quartered a bunch of red potatoes, spread them on a baking sheet, and sprinkled with garlic salt and Johnny's Seasonings. While the potatoes were cooking I grilled the steak on the stove with garlic salt and Johnny's Seasonings (are you seeing a pattern of my favorite seasonings?). The recipe called for “red bell peppers” but my Wal-mart is a bit pathetic in the produce section and they only had green. I think it would have helped to look better, but I don't think it affected the taste. I made a vinaigrette and combined everything in a giant bowl. Although the steak tasted REALLY GOOD – the rest was rather bland. I think it needed onion of some sort, I'm not sure what else. I just know it was lacking somehow. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Red Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage

This recipe actually turned out FABULOUS! I've made it several times before and it's always a success. The problem came later as I was preparing to blog it and discovered the nutritional value. YIKES! 847 calories and 27g of fat, 18 weight watcher points. Oh my goodness! We're definitely going to have to find a better alternative for the smoked sausage in this recipe. If you have a suggestion, please let me know. I'll post the make-over recipe once it is complete.

Thank you for your patients. I have a lot planned for this week. More trial recipe's and hopefully a good ol' stand-by :)

Comments (0)

Post a Comment